Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Psalm 121:5

"The Lord is your keeper;
the Lord is your shade on your right hand."

At the Santa Barbara Zoo there is a really awesome area for a couple of lions they have. Every time we go to the Zoo we always check out the lions. Once the female was pacing back and forth about 6 inches away from us (fortunately, 2 of those inches were solid glass!).

Next to the lion area is a much smaller area that holds a cat that is a little bigger than the average large house cat. Counting the 2 years we held passes to the Zoo and the 5-6 times we've been since then I've been to the SBZoo a few dozen times. I've only seen that cat 3-4 of those times. I ALWAYS spend more time looking for the cat (and then admiring it) than I do looking at the lions; which are much more impressive.

I got to see the little cat's keeper in the cage one time. I told her that I've not been able to see her keep very often. She said, 'you have to know where to look.' Within a few steps covering about .75 seconds she was standing directly over the feline doing some zookeeper thing or another.

The cat keeper knew the cats habits, she knew the cat's favorite hiding places, she knew practically what the cat was thinking (I had a friend who was the 7th boy; he said his mom knew what he was thinking before he did!). In a very murky way, that is a good idea of what God is to us as our 'keeper'.

God knows your thoughts; that is why He gives you His Word to shape your thoughts.
God know where you live; that is why He gives you what you need to flourish where you are.
God knows your habits; that is why He gives you the 10 Commandments, the Sermon on the Mount, and 30,001 verses of Scripture (in the NIV) to tell you the best way to live.

God is your Keeper.

Psalm 121 is a wonderful expression of absolute, implicit trust. I'm going to be working on memorizing it; memorize it with me.

God the Father, thank You that You superintend everything for my good. God the Son, thank You that You came to let me know Who You are like, so that I can trust that You superintend all things for my good. God the Spirit, thank You that You are the God who speaks to me so that I know what You have for me.

What is a difficult area in your life right now that you need to trust your Keeper in? When will you let Him have it for good?

2 comments:

  1. I think I will join you in memorizing it. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I love you precious. You are my treasure! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete