Saturday, June 12, 2010

Psalm 130

Out of the depths I cry to you,
O Lord!
O Lord, hear my voice!
Let your ears be attentive
to the voice of my pleas for mercy!

If you, O Lord, should mark iniquities
O Lord, who could stand?
But with you there is forgiveness,
that you may be feared.

I wait for the Lord, my soul waits,
and in his Word I hope;
my soul waits for the Lord
more than watchmen for the morning,
more than watchmen for the morning.

O Israel, hope in the Lord!
For with the Lord there is steadfast love,
and with Him is plentiful redemption.
And he will redeem Israel
from all his iniquities.
Psalm 130

To wait for the Lord takes time (by definition waiting is spending time doing something you'd rather not do until something that you want comes).

To wait for the Lord takes patience (not all waiting is done well. Most of us know what it means to sin while waiting; most of us know what it means not to wait for the Lord.)

To wait for the Lord takes trust.
The American Heritage dictionary has as it's #1 definition for 'wait' as 'to remain in expectation'.
This is almost the definition for trust [just in case you're wondering, #5 = 'Reliance on something in the future, hope.'].

To 'remain in expectation' for the Lord to work is relying on, hoping in, exuding confidence in God to work for your good. This is faith. Sometimes, fortunately, God takes longer than we want Him to take in answering our prayer or our expectations. Lord willing, we will learn to continue going to Him while we wait. Then in our waiting God will teach us Himself: for that is exactly why we are hear, to glorify Him by knowing Him better b/c we with therefore also love and trust Him more.

Luke 18:1-8

Father who loves me, praise You that You hear my prayers.
Son who died and rose for me, praise You that You made my prayers audible to the Father.
Spirit who communicates to the Throne for me, praise You that you cause me to wait, in trust.

What question in your heart do you need to bring to God in prayer?

No comments:

Post a Comment