Saturday, August 7, 2010

Matthew 6:1

Matthew 6:1 ESV

      "Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven."

 

Oh, and does Jesus know how to hit us where it hurts.  He doesn't mess around with pleasantries; Jesus puts His finger on our hearts and pokes so that we know we have been touched by Jesus.

 

How easy it is to do the right thing when we know people are watching!  How easy it is to avoid temptation when we know other see!  (Of course, how often have you 'blown' it when you knew people were there: we're not even as good as we pretend in our hearts to be!)

 

But many righteous deeds, including prayer, must be done in front of others.  I will do that tomorrow at least a couple of times.  Am I sinning?

 

The point, again, goes to the heart: why am I praying?  Is it so people will see an example of prayer?  Is it so people can join in prayer with me?  Is it so I can also ascend to the throne of God with my brothers and sisters? or, Is it so that people will think well of me and how I pray?  Ah, there's the rub! Certainly I have fallen to that sin!  Prayed so that people think I pray well!  Foolishness!  Rubbish!  Sin!  All the reward I can expect has already been given me for that. 

 

Oh, let it not be so Lord Jesus, that when I pray, or give to the poor that I will do it in order to be seen by others!  Oh God, save me from myself and my own wicked desires!  Instead, cause me to seek You and You alone as I do all that I do.  May this be more and more true of me and those I lead.

 

Thank You Father, for clarifying Your stringent demands.

Thank You Son, for completing those demands.

Thank You Spirit, for working in and through me to do and desire to do those demands.

 

Striving for a pure heart together with you,

Pastor Greg

2 comments:

  1. Met you on Sunday, my husband is Jon Coulter's cousin. :)

    Thanks so much for this post.

    A couple weeks ago after a church service I was totally pondering this exact passage and what that means with regard to praying in front of others at church and coming forward in a church service for prayer.

    Some friends pointed me to James 5:16 as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Lisa. I really appreciate it. I hope it helped because that day was mostly a 'yikes, I need to repent of this sin!'. Obviously the other reasons I listed are 'good' reasons, but they too can be sinful if our base motive to glorify God isn't there.
    Thanks again,
    Greg

    ReplyDelete