Saturday, July 24, 2010

7-22-10

 

Acts 20:20

"how I did not shrink from declaring to you anything that was profitable, and teaching you in public and from house to house,"

 

Paul's ministry for 3 years in Ephesus was a teaching ministry.  People are ignorant of the things of God, so they need to be taught.

 

Paul taught them anything that was profitable.  If there was a particular new teaching en vogue then Paul was willing to speak against it.  If there was some connection to a cultural 'truth', Paul used it in his teaching (Acts 17). 

 

Paul was also careful to teach both in public and in private.  Some things are too important to teach only in private; some things are to complex to teach in public.  So Paul set about doing what he needed to do in order to teach the Ephesians properly.

 

Now Paul was ready to die.

 

Acts 20:24

But I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God.

 

In Paul's heart the ministry was a death.  He daily gave up his 'rights' so that others could be blessed with eternal life.  Though he didn't die for at least some time afterwards, Paul's whole life after the Damascus Road experience was death. 

 

Praise Jesus for the gift of ministry.  Lord, grant that I would have a heart that leans more fully on Your vision for ministry.  Help me Jesus to die to myself: when I am ministering to my family, when I am ministering to my flock, and when I am ministering to those around me in need.  Help me to view both life and death, and the ministry as Paul did.

 

Praise You Father for the gift of Your Son.

Praise You Son for opening the door for Kingdom work.

Praise You Spirit for the gift of ministry.

 

Your fellow minister in Christ,

Pastor Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment