Thursday, July 29, 2010

Hebrews 11:3

Hebrews 1:3 ESV

“He is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, and he upholds the universe by the word of his power. After making purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high,”

 

“After making purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high,”

 

Christ finished his work after he made purification for sins so He sat down.

Why did He sit down?  Because He was done: “After making purification for sins”.

Where did He sit down?  In the most honorable place in the universe: “at the right hand of the Majesty on high”.

 

One thing that is interesting to me about this portion is that Christ made ‘purification’ for sins.

 

It is true that He made atonement:

          Christ forgave the guilt of our sin: Ephesians 1:7

          Christ graced us with His righteousness: 2 Corinthians 5:21

 

Christ made atonement because sin is guilt that needs to be forgiven; God must be propitiated (have his anger turned away from us so that He can have a relationship with us (Rom 3:21-26).

 

But here it says that Christ made ‘purification’: sin is also filth that must be cleansed.  We are stained (Isaiah 1:18).  Our works are as filthy rags (Isaiah 64:6). 

 

Sin is also an illness that must be cured: Our hearts are deceitful (Jeremiah 17:9); our position pitiable (Rev 3:17).

 

Oh Lord, save me from the sins that plague me!  Forgive me, cleanse me, cure me!  Give me mercy: propitiate me (Luke 18:13) lest I die!

 

Father in Heaven, praise You for your holiness.

Son on Earth, praise You for your mercy.

Spirit among us, praise You for your communicating both to me.

 

Longing for complete redemption with you,

Pastor Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment