Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Psalm 27:1

Prov 27; Ezek 31-33

Psalm 27:1 ESV

OF DAVID. The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear?

The LORD is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?

 

What does it mean to say that someone or something is your stronghold?

          It means you trust in it for security, hope, etc.

          It means you value it more than other things.

          Having something/one as your stronghold means that you put time and energy into it.

          Having something/one as your stronghold means that nothing is more valuable.

 

So, what are some common strongholds people use?

          People (relatives, children, parents, spouse)

          Jobs

          Money

          Fame

          Entertainment (of numerous kinds)

 

But what do these things have in common:

          All of them will fail.

          All of them will disappear and will take those who trust in them with them.

 

How do we make sure that the Lord is our stronghold.

          Trust His promises (that means you 1st have to know them, then you have to apply them to various areas of your life)

          Spend time with those who trust Him

          Organize your life around the promises/commands found in Scripture.

 

Father, give me courage to forsake all my strongholds that are not built on You.

Son, give me blessings commensurate with Your promises.

Spirit, give me direction that I may make You my stronghold.

 

Resting secure with you,

Pastor Greg

1 comment:

  1. 'Trust His promises (that means you 1st have to know them, then you have to apply them to various areas of your life)'. I like that. I think sometimes we forget his promises, and therefore can't apply them, or we know them but for some reason forget they apply to us as well. It's def. a two part process. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete